Getting Married?


But I, being poor have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

W. B. Yeats

For many reasons our parish Church of Our Lady of Victories is a popular place for couples to celebrate the sacrament of their marriage. If you, as a couple, are considering OLV Church as a place to celebrate your wedding we hope the information on this page will be of help. Please note - Due to the volume of work,we are unable to preside at weddings on the First Friday of the month, or any day during the last week of the year (Christmas to New Year). Nor can we have weddings during Holy Week, on Sundays or on St Patrick's Day.

Practical Information

  1. Check the availability of Our Lady of Victories Church for your preferred date and time. This must be done at least six months before any proposed date.
  2. The booking of the Church for the wedding is deemed to be provisional until the freedom of the couple to marry in the Church is established and the name of the priest is confirmed.
  3. If either party to the wedding is a member of Our Lady of Victories Parish, or regularly celebrates their faith life in OLV Parish, we will be happy to preside at their wedding. Alternatively, a couple are welcome to nominate their own priest providing that he is legally and validly registered as a ‘solemniser’. Couples who have no such relationship with OLV parish must nominate their own ‘solemniser’ (priest).

Civil Requirements

Certificate of Marriage

Under a directive from the Civil Registrar's Office (Sept 2007), couples must present themselves to the Civil Registrar at least 3 months before the date of the marriage. Along with personal data, the couple must give the name of the solemniser (priest) of the marriage to the Registrar. If all requirements are fulfilled you will receive a Marriage Registration Form (MRF). Without this Form the couple cannot get married nor may the Solemniser proceed with the Marriage Ceremony.

On the day of the marriage, the couple must take this civil form for signing to the Church. After signing (by the couple, the two witnesses and the solemniser) the couple must then return the signed form to the Registrar's Office within one month of the marriage.

For more information contact or

Registrar of Marriages, Room 1, Joyce House, 8-11 Lombard Street East, Dublin 2. Phone: 01-6711863.
The Civil Registration service have launched a new online appointment service. This new and additional access channel will allow couples to book notification of intention to marry appointments in any Civil Registration Service office provided they have access to the internet. The site is

Religious Requirements

Wedding Rings

Obviously, there are various options open to you regarding how and where you can exchange your wedding vows (e.g. a Civil Wedding at home or abroad, or a Religious Wedding). Again, obviously, there are consequences that follow whatever pathway you opt for. Should you choose to explore the option of having your wedding in OLV parish we will be delighted to journey with you. Our commitment is to help you in all aspects relating to the religious dimension of your wedding.

Book your Pre-Marriage course

Courses are run throughout the year but are generally limited to ten couples so early booking is advisable. 'Accord' (The Catholic Dublin Diocesan Agency for Marriage) run courses in a number of centres throughout the diocese. In the Dublin area, to book a course in the nearest centre to you, go online at

(email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.">This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., or phone (01) 4784400.

Gather the Required Documentation

You will need...

  • A Baptism Certificate - Long form including parents names (not a state birth cert and not an old baptism cert). It is evidence of your baptism and that you were not previously married. This is why it must be dated within six months of the wedding. You can get this from the Church where you were baptised.
  • A Confirmation Certificate available from the Church where you were confirmed.
  • A Letter of Freedom: from every place that you lived for more than six months since the age of eighteen. If you lived in numerous places, it may be necessary to get a sworn affividivit to vouch for the fact that you were never previously married. The letter of freedom can be attained from the parish in the area in question.
  • Your Pre-Marriage Course Certificate.

Fill out Pre-Nuptial Enquiry

This is a form which asks a number of questions to make sure that you understand the step that you are about to take. This form is organised by the Priest of your Parish where you are residing for the last six months or more. It is important to be in touch with the Priest to complete this form in good time.

Plan the Liturgy

It is important to us that your wedding liturgy reflect the depths of love we cherish as a Christian family, and that you wish to publicly proclaim on your wedding day. We are happy to help you choose the readings, prayers and music that reflect this love in your journey. The readings and the music should be appropriate to the context of a religious celebration. We also recommend that you consult with in planning your ceremony.

Church Contributions

Normally a contribution is made towards the upkeep of the Church, and to the Sacristan. The Church contribution is normally €360. The stipends for singers, musicians, etc, is arranged separately with the people themselves.

Ordering a Papal Blessing

If you would like to have a 'Papal Blessing', you can order it through Veritas Bookstore. It takes a few months to get it and before ordering you will need to have a letter from your priest stating that you are to be married on a particular date and that you are practicing Catholics.

Previously Married

In cases where one or both parties have been previously married, certificates and full details of previous marriages are required. Where applicable, death certificates or nullity certificates are also required.


If your prospective spouse is not a Roman Catholic, you will need to get a ‘Dispensation’ (also, if you are getting married in a non-Catholic Church you will need a dispensation). In consultation with you your priest will get these from your bishop.